Saturday, May 2, 2009



How about 40 km XC first day you arrive ?
Not bad I'd say. Happened to Marec, Polish pilot. Together with Hans Henrik he flew from Monte Cabrer and flew westwards to Villena.

The day was promising from first hour. West not too strong, eastern winds later on around midday. Maybe even too strong at the coast like yesterday.
Time to head for Monte Cabrer, "goat mountain" near Alcoy. There was not a lot of briefing to be done to our Danish visiting pilots, neither to Joachim, Hendrie and Sean who flew here before. Danish pilots I saw flying days before and was feeling very relaxed about them being in april air in Alicante.
Just Marec the polish dude. He asked me, how do you say : where am I, in Spanish ?
I told him : Donde estoy ?
And how do you say 'help' ?
Socorro : I answered.
It felt strange, did he wanted to know how to ask for help to a farmer when he was hanging in a tree ? Did he wanted to know where he was after he bounced on his head a few times ?
Or was he reading the sky just like the locals and knew this was a XC day, and had to be prepared when going XC.
Well luckily he had to be prepared and knew it.
Soon he was together with Hans Henrik, top of the stack, 2400 ASL, spiralling at times to get down, as cloudsuck was strong.

It was excellent flying. Also for the other pilots who stayed near the hill. Excellent. And what felt nice, was that I told my guests to follow our local cracks, they knew the way for XC from this hill. But they did it their way, and got so much further than the 10 km XC local pilots achieved.
Revenge will not be sweet, I tell you, Bartual, Pepe, Ismael already doing sit-ups, lifting weights, drinking Red Bull, studying maps.
Fuck no, we're all in it for fun, we're all buddies ! Cheers !






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Nick! Local pilots like Manuel and me did more than 10km XC ;). Manuel landed in Fuente la Higuera, more than 40km and me only 21km near Banyeres. Not bad!
Great day together!