Tuesday, February 27, 2007





Derek, Harry and Mike. Derek is 82 years old and probably britains' oldest pilot, he has been here before some four years ago with our good friend Harry. This time another friend came along Mike. Mike with his 68 years old is not the youngest boy either,although he doesn't look 68.
I knew Derek from three years ago, and lately there was an article published in skywings /paragliding magazine in Britain about him.
You can tell they past their top fitness level, although not in joking and having fun !

So we left this morning to fly our winter thermals. Once at take off, I flew out as a wind dummy.
Too early, there was still windsheer and pretty active flying was needed. Sometimes gusts from the west, from over the back, sometimes winds from the east. Meanhwile bity thermals kicking in.
I was almost asking Derek, Harry and Mike to wait till conditions smoothened out. I looked over my back and who was in the air ? Yes, all three of them.
And how ! Derek was sky-godding for two hours. This is no joke, he was outflying our local cracks.
When I was airborne again, I stayed in the air till the breeze was gonna kick in, and get in collision with the thermals. Because then for a half hour, it gets a bit rough. I had to, and I love to do my job as a guide. I told them if they wanted to come down, we could have a coffee and fly later again.
No sign, they felt very comfortable. And to be honest I didn't see their wings pitching and rolling as I saw on other gliders ... . Good pilots, long time experience, exactly.
Back up at take off, Derek wanted to try the Niviuk Hook. I was happy to give our demo to him. But wondered if he was gonna be cautious with the new wing, he wasn't used to fly.
But again, impressed, took off immediately without hesitation (just the pivot by reverse it not that easy of course, but I secretly hope when I'm 82 that I'm gonna be so flexible, and I doubt it)
Very comforting, very satisfying that he was again, giving the wing the right amount of brake travel to keep it in the turns. I have to repeat myself, time after time he was top of the stack. Flying along with our better pilots, while others bummed out.
It was a fabulous day, I took some pictures just to give you an idea how it went.
One thing. Later in the afternoon, some swedish pilots came along, low airtime pilots, beginners.
8 men and 4 girls.
You know who they were talking about ? The girls of course. Healthy old men.
It was a pleasure flying with them.
Ogi coming in tomorrow, belgians at the end of this week, I hope the flying will be as good as today, because it doesn't get much better.

Rafa if you are reading this, your new Skywalk glider has arrived, at Doyouwanna price, like nowhere else. Concerning the thread about prices in Europe on the paraglidingforum.com , I think some of them have to buy new calculators, and half of what they are saying in BS. If you read an advertisement which says a 10 pound charge for a visual inspection of the emergency chute, then you should know which country the magazine is from... those kind of rip offs are still miles away from where the sun is shining.

No comments: