Wednesday, February 28, 2007



Dear Campo,

I won the flight with Nick and your magazine way back in October (I think)> but was too chicken and kept wimping out of organising. My partner finally> grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and organised it with Nick himself. I> cannot deny that I was petrified. I had butterflies all the way to the> meeting point and even felt compelled to compose a will by video cam> beforehand.> Nick was lovely and so reassuring (no I would not fall and no I would not> break my legs on landing). It was quite a windy day and had to wait awhile> before it was safe to do my flight. The wait was good, and the start of it > I> was half hoping it would all be called off due to weather conditions, but > as> the time went on and I saw the trainee paragliders doing their solo > flights> I was reassured.> So I got kitted out and trussed up like a turkey (you won't be seeing the> harness on any catwalk anytime soon). The take off was a bit hairy as the> wind was so strong and we were pulled about a bit, but this did take my > mind> off the running off a mountain part of my fear. Nick told me to run and > keep> running even when we left the ground, until he said stop. (I am beginning > to> think this was for everyone else's amusement as I look like the roadrunner> going over a cliff...). Once up in the air, it was just amazing. The views> form that angle just take you breath away. We were in the air for about 20> minutes and came down to land, which was like stepping off a kerb (so no> broken legs there). The whole experience was exhilarating and I urge any> other "chicken" winners to get out there and do it. SO a huge thank you to> Campo for running the competition and to Nick for making it so much fun > (and> for donating the prize too), and to Roger for making the phonecall and for> not making clucking noises.> Thanks again,> Ciara Mulkeen>> ps could you please send this email and the photos to Nick as I don't have> his email address> pps the pictures are of take off, the flight and post landing euphoria > with> Nick

1 comment:

patmoroney said...

Well done Ciara, I'd never have the guts to do it! Peace P