Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A bit of a horrible day



We gotto fly all we can, and definetely inland as upcoming days will be windy, with norhteasterly winds. So only chance will be cliffs at the coast.


So off we went to fly La Solana in Villena. A nice southeasterly ridge, huge landings, even if winds pick up no sweat.


After Glenn took off and dissapeared behind the hill, I said on the radio, all was ok. Seconds after that, a spanish voice, donde estais, bajas por tu amigo, tenia un golpe fuerte. Meaning, where are you guys, are you coming down for your friend, he was hit hard. I just wondered and asked Glenn again if all was ok. Yes sure, no problem.

I got down and what the fuck, firebrigade, the civil servants, two ambulances, one ready with the stretcher out, guardia civil and more town police cars. Hey Glenn, are you sure you are allright ? Yeah man, what are all these folks doing here, is this spanish ?

I asked the nearest policeman, what they were doing. Well someone called us, and said there was an accident.

Yeah I called, a dodgy skinny gypsy boy told me. Nice one, what did you see ? He came down here with a parachute ! Oh.....

Glenn landed fine, and his glider fell over a 3 meter pine tree, that was it.

After shaking everyone's hand (about 20 people), and telling them we were amazed by the rapidness they arrived, we left for Palomaret.


In Palomaret winds were on, not too strong. Untill we got in the air. Under my Skywalk C3 I had hardly any forward speed and was heading out way in the valley. Beep, beep, beep, beep, consantly and no forward speed. Hm, not very reassuring with the canyons below me, power lines, old houses. It got pretty to very rough out high, and didn't want to push it kicking speedbar. So I started spiralling down to get in lower air, where surely it wasn't that windy. Aggressive gusts made it hardly possible to exit the spiral nicely. What the hell was this today. The sky all of a sudden looked very angry to me.

Finally landed safe and called for retrieve. No sweat.

Off to Cabo, that would be more relaxing. And it was, I sat it out ... no more for today. Glenn topped up his airtime with a good hour and that was it.

Later on, I lost my house keys. What ? Yes, indeed beer o'clock it is now.


No comments: