Friday, November 2, 2007





This week looked like we were gonna have to do with lousy top to bottoms at first. Now look what we got out of the hat this week.
Again a fantastic day this time near Onil, where we kinda occupied the take off of our dear friends Juan Pedro and co.
Second picture is Olivier Legrand from Belgium who has several records, XC distances on his name, in Piedrahita as well as in Belgium. Also german pilots Wally, Julia, and skygod Zorro Brent (I think I spelled it all right...)
More french, english were all joining the sky today. 1800 m ASL, meaning 700 meter above take off, not bad for a november day no ? 4.5 m per second thermals ?
It feels good, although I didn't have the time to fly myself. Too many pilots, too little drivers. But no worries, it feels good.
We choose the best site, and at the best time. Lets not be too humble. When we arrived it was spot on, winds breezy, just enough to have a perfect reverse launch.
I asked not to linger on near the hill, but get to the valley to find the valley thermals. I probably didn't need to say that, but hope it helped anyway.
After everybody took off, winds just veered and were catabatic. Locals who arrived (as usual) too late, could only just watch 15 foreign pilots circling sky high, up and in the clouds.
I lend my Niviuk Artik to Brent, who throws his gliders around like dirty washing. Well he did with my Artik, and loved it. Juan Pedro with his brandnew Artik will show us and many locals the way to more XC flying with his new toy, that's for sure.
When we all were down, we headed for the coast to do some 'floating', some soaring after the 'flying', thermalling inland up to cloudbase at 1800 m ASL.
But it was too strong at the coast. I looked around at the pilots and sensed no regrets. We got good, skilled pilots around, who preferred to get some real flying inland, rather than the (although the usually very amusing) soaring at the coast.
I think the pilots around are just the perfect league to have.
Love you all ! Oh god, I'm getting sentimental. So what.
signed Nick

No comments: