Monday, May 12, 2008


Lots of messages from friends up north, they have been flying in France mainly. Unfortunately 4 fatal accidents last week. 3 Belgians and one British pilot lost their life. Sad, very sad.
Keeps us reminding we practice a lovely sport, but we should always be very careful.
I do not mean by this that these guys were not careful, I am 1000 or more kilometers away from where it happened. I just hope their friends, family, mother, lover will have the strength to overcome this loss.
We didn't fly today. At our coastal site it was south and not east as it should be. I flew it before when south, but one collapse because of rotor, can be very painful, so no risk. And inland it was cloudy, very cloudy and various weather forecasts were predicting thunderstorms and rain inland.
I remember a couple of weeks ago, we were at Palomaret tempting to fly. But my nose told me something different, it felt too cold up there. Not normal for that day, not normal for the time of the year. Too close to base ?? ... ? Don't know, didn't do it. Stayed down.
The day after I heard from Alex that they measured 100 km winds under the cloud in the back near Peña Rubia. Scary. Luckily I do have huge respect for clouds, and especially this time of the year.
Actually we had a very interesting experience at La Cortina the other day. In no time, clouds were forming and winds picked up from nothing to very strong gusts.
Yes, we all know, basics, we are taught, ..., but it is good to experience it once again with our own eyes. And feel and respect this nature forces.

All day on the lookout, but didn't find a safe window to head out and play today.

No comments: