Sunday, March 9, 2008

Good news, good old Wolfgang, more German a name can't be, is better. He is not jumping around yet, but ok.
He made a wrong move coming in to land yesterday and came in hard. Brought to hospital etc... his friends visited him today, etc.... , and he's gonna be ok.

You could keep this secret, but I prefer to be open with all of you guys and learn each time something happens.
First after an accident I have some 'reflexions'.
I approach the happening as follows.
First I check how everybody feels about the accident and talk to the present pilots, who witnessed the accident, or were flying in the same group.
Secondly I analyze the accident, and try to learn from it.
Thirdly is trying to find an even better way to minimize the margin of possible accidents in the future.

First talked to the pilots, the friends who witnessed the accident. I think it was clear that the conditions had changed, but were foreseen on the hill already and briefed.
Secondly analysed the accident, and I sensed that all found the approach 'strange', and not in accordance to the possible approach on this big and wide landing field.
Thirdly, I think this accident could have been prevented, by flying with a radio, we could have suggested a better approach than the one followed.

But ! Some pilots do not have radio's, or do not want to use them, or think these are a nuisance. But I tell you that (even) comp pilots visiting me now and then, mostly all have a radio, and are not too proud to use them. (just one example ...)
Radio's are used for safety, and not just to chat. So valuable info is exchanged. Wind change, pilots going XC, hey down here better thermals etc... .

So from now on, I will only guide if you have a radio with you. If you do not have one, I will rent out radio's at a rate of 25 euros a week. And I hope you can give ME info too, of what's happening in the air. I think an interchange of info can only benefit in minimizing even more the possibilities of accidents as we had yesterday.

////////////////////////////////////////////////
Next is for the local pilots who read this.
I think it is also a good idea for our federacion to use their time and energy, giving more attention to previous accidents, to benefit from the mistakes pilots have made.
It would help the lesser experienced pilots to understand more about aerology, meteorology, convergence, all of it - and give them better knowledge about the sport they are about getting into. So we all fly safer and with lots more knowledge.
Our 'protagonistas' in our federacion should use their reunions to improve the safety of our sport. To improve the image of our sport. Instead of imposing rules and laws which are absurd.

I am straightforward, always been, if you have another opinion let me know. We'll see each other soon on the hill.
Soon I will forward some messages on this topic on our forum down here in Alicante. I hope you will speak up. Speak up, because it is your sport, it is your region, it is our responsibility to help each other out. Especially when the matter is safety.

No comments: