Sunday, October 7, 2007



Briefing at landing Palo. Easy, you use the huge window on your left,
you do not fly over the landing spot itself, for obvious reasons. You are closer to eventual rotor, your are closer to lee thermals, you are acting like the local pilots, so organised landings.
Just what didn't happen with a visiting 'top' pilot.
I came in with tandem, which has on its own as "gentlemens' agreement" priority, nicely as it should. On my right another coming in somewhat higher than me. Now if you come in and you do not have enough height difference with other incoming pilot, it is most reasonable to pull in big ears, so you come in with a little bit more - hence safer - , height difference. Follow ? (actually basic stuff)
Now the other one was making 360 turns, so was coming in low beside me. So me making big ears was unreasonable at that point.
Result, I could not land on the usual spot with my passenger, because I had to give room to the glider who all of a sudden was close behind me, obviously not knowing what to do.
Anyway, there was enough field lower down to have my passenger and me safe on the ground.
No problem, I take second option and go land further down.
The funny thing is, that when I spoke to the pilot, he said he had no problem, of course he didn't.
What he said was even more funny, "where did you come from all of a sudden ?".
Now that was scary .....
Anyway let it not spoil the fun of all day thermalling nad having fun with lots of pilots. Although the sun was screened, the thermals were present. All due to the upper northern winds. Somewhat turbulent when the breeze hit the thermals.
Fantastic !

No comments: