Tuesday, July 19, 2011

To fly or not to fly



I have been thinking and thinking, during my long hours siesta, when the heat was unabling us to get out lately.
Thinking about the latest season, which for me still is from sept till june guiding, still thinking in schoolyears yes I do.

Only a few accidents, which was good this season, but the accidents we had, especially the one in March was severe. Mike is still recovering, get better Mike.
Other accidents were with local pilots, accidents that could have been avoided. Bad toplanding approaches, rough landings etc... .
Accidents that always seems to be part of the evolution of a beginners' pilot to a more experienced pilot or a pilot we never see back on the hill again. We gotta work on that.

Alicante is known for its chill and fly, its reliable flying weather, without it being too rough and too challenging. Not having any pretention at all.
Therefore, I had a lot of repeated guests who came down once again. Pilots who were on that point in their flying carreer, doubting if they still were gonna paraglide or not.
The trip to Alicante was gonna decide for them. And they wanted to talk to me about it.

And in short I believe, think and said next.

If your spontaneous fantasy during flight still evokes
- the illusion of flying like a bird
- still evokes that sense of wonder
- the overwhelming pleasure of doing this
Then you should keep on flying.

If on the other hand your spontaneous fantasy during flight provokes
- more nerveusness than sheer pleasure
- anxiety more than a relaxed time
- fear more than feeling blessed doing this.
( although knowing fear is a projection of our mind, only a fantasy of our mind and not a fact. )
- and if you feel you cannot tackle these negative thoughts any more.
You should consider leaving the sport.


If I look around. There are not a lot of pilots that fly forever. After years of discovering this amazing sport, they have had it. It is out of their system. I had a world top pilot amongst my guests lately, and that's what he said. It is out of my system, before I couldn't see a good day go by, now I don't care any more, it is out of my system.

But now, don't let be me misunderstood. I hope the majority of pilots I know will keep on flying for lots more years, and I'll always be on the side for them in Alicante. For those who want to enjoy this region of relax, chill and fly over our numerous sites, coastal or mountains near Alicante.

Guiding, coaching partly involves emphasizing on the good skills, refining the lesser skills, and trying to improve or radically change the bad habits. I will continue sharing my experience, help everybody out, for as long as you want me to.



No comments: