Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another good day.
Early flying at the coast, a BBQ in the mountains and back up the hill for more. Can you ask for more ? I don't think so.

Early day at the coast. A group of young acro pilots arriving. Very young, max 25 years old, full of adrenaline, very greedy. Huge wingovers, collapses, laughing at it. Beginner acro pilot, no reserve. Yes you read right, acro pilot, no reserve. Knowing that Raul and Felix and all the other acro pilots have two reserves, one Rogallo and one Apex. And using them once in a while. So it felt all too stressy at take off Cabo. Toplandings between launching gliders, brrr. Shook up some regular pilots, all that young energy.
We left for having a BBQ in the woods, waiting for the strong bits to die off and fly again inland, thermals.
Once at take off, the young gang arrived as well. I loved it, the young energy, the adrenaline again. The eagerness of doing things with the glider. Somewhat inspiring. Untill a 'helicopter' went all wrong. From what we saw at first, was as if he had a twist and couldn't get out of his stall. The glider was spinning down. His friends were watching, holding their breath. He still had 200 m to go to sort it out, but couldn't. Why doesn't he throw his reserve ? We saw on each side cravattes. He got very low and were all watching and fearing a huge impact. It got quiter at take off, his friends justbeside me hands up, not saying anything. Only 30 meters to go he threw his reserve. It just just opened to slow down his fall a tiny bit. We say him come in hard. Bang, on the ground, hitting the deck.
His friends rushed to their van, to race down and see. I radio-ed my pilot who was near to see if everything was fine... . Yes Nick, he is standing up and walking.
Holy shit. That guy must have a huge and big guardian angel. I am so happy for him. I have seen deployments, unfortunately more than I wanted to, but never saw somebody coming down that way and with such a bang on the ground. How he walked away from it, to me it is a mystery. I think if you are young you bounce better ??

Be careful guys. I know you are young, full of testosteron, looking sharp, six-pack, muscled, a long long life ahead of you, full of energy. But keep it safe.
Tomorrow I think I am gonna have a chat with the pilot who flies without an emergency chute.

Anyway the end was all good. They could laugh about it. Better than cry of course. I hope they have their beers tonight, and have a great time downtown Alicante. Let the music play, turn up the volume, dance the night away, and ask the ladies to dance. Stay sexy !

No comments: