Friday, June 8, 2007


Bougainville. It's an island near Papa New Guinea. I wonder if the name if this plant comes from this island. Maybe I spell it wrongly. Anyway, it is the time of the Bougainville down here, before summer then the colours fade.
Every season as its specialty. Soon that typical Spanish smell will conquer. The sent, the smell of pine trees. The thermals will blow through the pine trees, giving us that special noise, that special dry pine smell.
And it's almost there.
We know, as we fly later and later. Yesterday some of us flew early, andwere already in the air when we arrived at 5.30 pm.
But even when we took off late, it was strong. Thermals were ok, but the inversion was low, only 1200 m ASL. And up there you didn't know where the wind was blowing from.
Flying without instruments for a while, I think this is good, especially now that I want to get really used to my new glider the Niviuk Artik. If want to feel everything and compete with others in the thermals. See if I do less or better than them, without instruments. Bit of a challenge.

No comments: